Disposal of medicines in Cambridge
Milton Road Pharmacy, like all other pharmacies, is required to accept unwanted and expired medicines from patients. Patients are reminded that once a medicine left the pharmacy, it cannot be reused, even if it was not used.
What medicines can you dispose of in Milton Road Pharmacy?
We accept all unwanted & expired medicines including:
- controlled drugs
- diabetic pens, as long as they do not have needles are attached
- adrenaline auto-injectors
- cytotoxic drugs
Can you bring a sharps bin to Milton Road Pharmacy?
At the moment Milton Road Pharmacy does not accept sharps bins. Clients returning unwanted medicines are asked if sharps are part of returned stock.
Where to return/dispose of sharps bin in Cambridge?
A limited number of pharmacies in Cambridge accept sharps bins. These are:
- Boots, Unit 3, Cambridge Retail Park, 320 Newmarket Road, Cambridge CB5 8WR
- Boots, 25 High Street, Sawston CB22 3BG
- Cherry Hinton Pharmacy, 39a High Street, Cherry Hinton, Cambridge CB1 9HX
- Lloyds, 9 High Street, Cambourne CB23 6JX
- Trumpington Walfare Pharmacy, Hobson Square, Hobson Avenue, Trumpington CB2 9FN
- Well Pharmacy, 222 High Street, Cottenham CB24 8RZ
Patients who are self-medicating and cannot take their sharps bin to the designated pharmacy can get in touch with Cambridge City Council on 01954 71348. Cambridge City Council can collect sharps bin, once a quarter with a minimum of three bins that needs collecting (Cambridge City Council, 2021).
Cambridge City Council (2021). Domestic clinical and hygiene waste. Available at: https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/domestic-clinical-and-hygiene-waste Accessed on 11/07/2021